Today’s Cup o’ Tea
Gotham City Comics & Coffee
Downtown Mesa, AZ
Perks (what I really like!)
Gotham City is low-key, fun, and filled to the rim with comics, action figures, toys, video games, and knowledgeable staff.
My favorite feature, of course, is the Espresso Bar serving comic-themed coffees and Italian sodas. It’s just a small stand in the midst of geek heaven, but trust store manager Jaime to create you one delicious drink.
Share a cuppa (the stories about the owner, building, history, name)
Owners Kevin and Miguel met in high-school and still share common interests: “devouring” comics, selling toys online, and playing Magic: The Gathering.
They used to work together at another well-known comic store. When it closed, they saw an opportunity to buy an existing coffee shop in downtown Mesa featuring a few comic books. They started Gotham City Comics & Coffee in December 2010, and watched the business morph from a coffee shop with comics, to a comic book shop with coffee.
What’s Brewing (coffee, tea, food)
The Espresso Bar features locally roasted coffee from Cortez Coffee Company—a coffee grower, roaster, and full coffee academy, in Tempe, AZ.
Gotham’s drink options are unique and delicious, including Italian ices. They also sell chips and candy.
The Grind (what I would change)
More tea selection would float the boat of this Tea-vangelist, but what they offer should more than fulfill anyone’s specialty-drink palate.
Percolation Factor (the activity/environment/energy/service)
They offer free Wi-Fi, and plenty of seating and electric plugs. In the back, there’s a game wall in a cushy-chair video game room, rentable for just $5 per hour. It looks great for parties or groups.
Events draw the most people to Gotham City Comics. These include:
- A weekly, Monday-night, live podcast taping of “The Comic Book Insider” with former editor of D.C. Comics Brian Augustyn.
- Dr. Who gathering on “Dr. Whosday“
- “New Comic Book Day and Dungeons and Dragons Encounters” every Wednesday morning, with an evening “From Parts Unknown” Indy Pro Wrestling Showcase hosted by Zero1 USA Pure Pro.
- “Friday Night Magic: the Gathering” play on the first, third and fourth Friday evenings of every month.
- “Saturday afternoon yo-yo instruction with Julius, a world-wide yo-yo expert, an early evening Pokemon League, and later-night “Saturday Night Magic: the Gathering.”
The Grounds (location)
[Main Street 40, with Link Stops within walking distance]
46 W. Main Street
Mesa, AZ 85201
Tea Times (hours)
Mon.–Th.: 11 a.m.–9 p.m.
Fri.–Sat.: 11 a.m.–11 p.m.
Sun.: 11 a.m.–6 p.m.
Yelp rating: 4.5
- “Readers Choice” by the Phoenix New Times “Best of Phoenix” 2011
- #5 of the “Top 10 Places to Geek Out” in Phoenix by the Phoenix New Times
P.S. You can meet Kevin and Miguel—plus ”Garbage Pail Kids” artist Mark Pingitore—at the Phoenix Comicon‘s Gotham City Comics & Coffee booth #374, May 24–26, 2013.