At the 8/11/22, Alliance for Literary Writers, Authors & Yabbering Scribes (ALWAYS) gathering, our established authors brainstormed an inspired list of topics for author newsletters and social media posts.
If you have any to add, please comment below!
Compelling topic ideas to entice readers to follow you and your books:
- Record milestones both for you personally, and for your books
- Share resources, like writing sites online, Wikimedia Commons for free photos, or Canva’s design tools +
- Interview your character
- Share recipes
- Post book excerpts
- Give tips/Top 10 lists on your book theme, or based on research +
- Create trivia questions
- Reveal your character or cover, perhaps a part at a time to make several posts
- Connect your book to timely events/ideas: holidays, history, national day celebrations +
- Show your process behind the scenes: successes and foibles, storyboarding +
- Share puns
- Give away swag items based on the book: sticker, bookplate, character art +
- Further describe your fictional world: qualities of magical gemstones, cultural details about clothing, religion, etc.
- Announce merchandising items: character art on cups, posters, actual jewelry described in the book +
- Create memes based on character quotes with an image (like the ones on Brainy Quote)
- Contrast fantasy vs. reality
- Describe book genres and subcategories
- Ask “What are you reading?” and other questions readers can respond to
- Ask for reader feedback on artwork and titles
- Discuss themes
- Reveal timing of releases
- Create how-to videos re: something in your book
- Explain how to write a review
Practical ideas for creating your posts:
- Plan and schedule posts once a week or month
- Always ask questions to involve readers
- Create original photos and art in square format so it can be used on any social media platform
What else, authors?
Ann Narcisian Videan, Book Shepherd
Write • Edit • Publish
P.S. Learn more about my novels on my Amazon Author Central page.
Find me elsewhere online.