The Darling Sounds will release their new album Haunt on 11/11, and they just released the first track, “Domestic Sounds,” on Bandcamp. You’ll find yourself tapping your toe and singing along to this Phoenix-based indie surf rock band’s music—featuring my son Cutter Videan as lead guitarist, vocalist, and music mixer. Grace Bolyard’s lyrics shine with her vocals and rhythm guitar, and Zach Nelson will make your heart pound with his percussion.
“Domestic Sounds” is definitely worth a listen and, if you like it, you can pay whatever you want for it on Bandcamp. Sweet options.
Just say WHAT?
The Rockin’ 1,000 is at it again!
My character, Axyl Thorne, is a famous rock star in the Fae realm of Delfaerune… easily as famous as Imagine Dragons in our human world. 😀 Art by Stacy Lefevre
While conducting research on some of my favorite bands, I found out some fascinating trivia about the musicians behind the music, and thought you might get a kick out of it, too.
Let’s start with Imagine Dragons, a four-member alternative/pop/indie rock band based in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Did you know…
- Three of the four members in the band share the first name “Daniel:”
- Dan Reynolds (lead singer)
- Daniel Wayne Sermon (guitar)
- Daniel Platzman (drums)
- Ben McKee (bass)
- Reynolds, child #7 in a family with 9 children, earned Eagle Scout status. He also stands 6’4″ tall.
- Sermon is one of five children.
- All the members of the band except Reynolds, attended the Berklee School of Music in California.
- Platzman received his degree in film scoring, and has received the Vic Firth Award for Outstanding Musicianship and the Michael Rendish Award in Film Scoring.
- Two of the Dans—Reynolds and Sermon—are Mormon, and married, girls. Sorry.
- Reynolds’ wife Aja Volkman is an American musician, best known as the front woman for the indie rock band Nico Vega.
- Sermon married ballerina/writer/photographer Alexandra Hill.
- McKee was arrested on the Las Vegas Strip for public nudity. He later stated in a Billboard interview, “There were some bad choices being made. Vegas is a crazy place.”
What other trivia do you know about Imagine Dragons?
This BuzzFeed sampling shows you a video series that totally delights me. James Corden, of The Late, Late Show fame, sings along with Adele, Sia, One Direction, Stevie Wonder…
Thank you, you brilliant funny man, for Carpool Karaoke.
Who would you like to see riding in James’ van as he sings his way to work?
Do you already have a favorite?
This happens to be an indescribably beautiful idea. When I have my own forest, I will make one of these instruments.
Cheers to Ruben Mandolini for posting this video.
The cover! Illustration John Taylor, production layout Michael Feather
I just created a Spotify playlist so you can hear 38 of the nearly 50 songs my future readers contributed to my pending novel Song of the Ocarina. Each of these songs will appear in the book as a tune my heroine Lark plays on her iPod, a melody one of the characters hums, or as background music at events throughout the plot line.
The story is filled with musicians, and my heroine is a musical prodigy, so expect a wide range of genres, with quite a few geared toward the 18–25-aged crowd.
Every future reader who suggested a song will see their name printed in my novel when it’s published (soon!). Check out my other blog entry for a sneak peak of that list.
Tell me what you think!
Ann Narcisian Videan
Write • Edit • Self-publish • Word-of-mouth