The Grounds (location)
Gold Bar Espresso
3141 South McClintock Drive
Tempe, AZ 85282
(NE corner Southern Ave./McClintock Dr.)
Tea Times (hours)
Open everyday from 6am – 11pm
What’s Brewing (coffee, tea, food)
- Specialty coffees
- Good assortment of teas (critical to my palate)
- A glass case of tasty baked goods, including the best lemon McTavish shortbread cookie EVER!
Percolation Factor (the activity/environment/energy/service)
High activity. Gold Bar is always busy, and offers:
- Game night
- Live music
- Local artists on display
Share a cuppa (cool background and stories)
In 2010, Gold Bar celebrated its 16th year in the Valley of the Sun as a locally owned, independent coffee house.
Perks (what I really like about the place!)
Gold Bar, in my opinion, is the consummate indie coffee shop because of these traits:
- Focus on the customer
- Home-like seating areas
- Ambience, including décor by local artists
- Free wi-fi
- Well lit
- Lots of electrical plug-ins
- Great drinks
- Delicious baked goods
- Friendly baristas and patrons
- Fun calendar of activities
- Finger on the pulse of the customer
- They even have a secret menu!
The Grind (what I would change)
- I’m not thrilled having to walk through the kitchen to get to the bathroom. 😦
- Sometimes it’s hard to find a seat.
- Its Web site offers no background on the owners, nor a full menu of all the goodies they offer.
Yelp rating: 3.5 stars