Inviting entrance and patio at Echo Coffee. ©2011 ANVidean
Today’s Cup o’ Tea
Fresh. Local. Organic.
Perks (what I really like!)
- Knowledgeable owner: Steve Belt
- Free Wi-Fi
- Calm, light, peaceful environment
- Modern décor
- Local art
- Organic tea selection
Share a cuppa (the stories)
Owner: Steve Belt
The tipping point for Steve to open a coffee shop, per his blog, was a Twitter tweet. He said, “I researched nearly every significant coffee shop in the Phoenix area, tasted a ton of coffee, and watched how each shop’s customer service was handled… Batch after batch, I roasted and tasted, roasted and tasted, until I developed a very strong idea of what I wanted my coffees to taste like.”
Steve will give you a mini lesson on roasting coffee, if you ask. ©2011 ANVidean
His research led to the decision that the shop would “not only need to be good, but great.” I think he’s hit the mark.
What’s Brewing (coffee, tea, food)
- Coffee roasted on-site
- A tea selection
- Organic pastries
- Cold and hot sandwiches
The Grind (what I would change)
Percolation Factor (the activity/environment/energy/service)
Owner Steve Belt showcases local artists' work. ©2011 ANVidean
- The servers and baristas were friendly and helpful.
- It’s a busy place with customers enjoying their coffee, working and chatting comfortably.
- Steve holds a periodic Barista Jam. The Feb. 2011 event featured a latte art competition, a tasting opportunity with one original coffee roasted four different ways, and included a visit from Walter the Bus, a 13-foot-tall VW bus accommodating 50 people on its upper deck.
The Grounds (location)
2902 N. 68th St., Suite 135
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Tea Times (hours)
6 a.m.–10 p.m. daily
Yelp rating: 4 stars
I love connecting people and ideas, so I’ve been creating small villages my entire life. Really, what better places can writers and musicians find to create “village” than independent coffee/tea shops? I wrote most of my Rhythms & Muse novel in coffee/tea venues, so it seemed natural to create this blog. Whether you came here to find a new favorite hangout, or suggest a spot not yet not posted, may you find Coffee CommuniTea exactly to your taste!