Today’s Cup o’ Tea
Bergies Coffee Roast House
Share a cuppa (stories about the owner, building, history, name)
More than two years ago, when I met my friend Cherie Scott for tea here, she suggested I write a positive blog about coffee and tea shops. The idea for “Coffee CommuniTea” started brewing at Bergies!
Perks (what I really like!)
- Its location. Brothers Brian and Bruce Bergeson opened the doors to Bergie’s in Gilbert’s historic Heritage District in early 2009. It earned a New Times “Best of Phoenix” award that year.
- Cottage environment with comfy, private sections
- Two shady patios
- Knowledgeable baristas
- Delicious tea. Even though the menu focuses on coffee, I was pleasantly surprised at the knowledge of the barista who helped Cherie and I on our return visit. She introduced me to a special “Celebration” blend of teas, which was fruity and delightful when brewed later at home.
What’s Brewing (coffee, tea, food)
- Quality coffee, custom roasted by the brothers themselves
- A limited number of teas
- Online ordering available
- Pastries and desserts
The Grind (what I would change)
Our visit was delightful. Why it’s taken me so long to feature this charming place, I’m not sure. But, I highly recommend you check it out.
Percolation Factor (activity/ environment/energy/service)
- Local musicians on Saturday evenings
- The brothers chat every Tuesday from 11:15 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. on “Culinary Confessions” on AM Radio 1440
The Grounds (location)
East side of Gilbert Road, between Elliott and Guadalupe roads, next to Joe’s Real BBQ.
309 N. Gilbert Road
Gilbert, AZ 85234
Tea Times (hours)
M–Th: 6 a.m.–5 p.m.
F–Sa: 6 a.m.– 8:30 p.m
Su: 7 a.m.–12 p.m.
Yelp rating: 4.5 stars from 63 reviews